Skip to main content

Interview Series: Executive Leadership

Featured this week is an interview with Mick, the director of a grassroots nonprofit organization that operates in the realm of human rights and legal advocacy. As is the case with many new organizations, the role of a leader often changes on a frequent basis as procedures are developed, mission statements are crafted, and new opportunities are pursued. Our interview is transcribed below:

––––––––––

Q: As the Director of a nonprofit organization, what does an average day look like for you?

A: Once I get settled in at my desk, I start by planning my day. I usually spend the morning doing administrative tasks and fundraising work, then I spend the afternoon communicating with clients and collaborating with members of my team. 

Q: What is your favorite part of your job?

A: I would have to say that my favorite part of my job is that I'm able to directly help families who are in need. Helping people navigate difficult circumstances is something that I find very meaningful. While the job definitely has challenges, I never have to wonder if I'm making a difference. 

Q: What is the most difficult part of your job?

A: Working with families in crisis can sometimes take a toll. It's sometimes hard to separate from my job at the end of the day, and there are times I wish I had a more lighthearted job. 

Q: How did your previous experiences in work, school, and life prepare you for what you are doing today?

A: This job really brings together all aspects of my past training. I have a diverse work background in broadcasting, writing, and project management; and I have an undergraduate degree in political science and a masters of public administration. Each of these has helped me with various parts of my current job.

Q: What advice do you have for students entering the professional world?

A: I think that students really need to think big. If they can identify what they love doing, they can truly design a career around it. I love communicating and helping people, and I've been able to make a career of it.  

––––––––––

This is a great reminder that sometimes your job won't look exactly how you expect it to–especially if you're working on developing a new business, project, or organization. While leadership is not always easy or straightforward, it can be very rewarding. If you are seeking a leadership role, remember that you will need to remain flexible and dynamic to meet the needs of your team and the clients you serve.

- JS

Comments

  1. Hi James,

    Really enjoyed the transcribed interview style of your blog! I think it helps the reader grasp the personality of the interviewee, Mick seems like a real character and I could tell how much he enjoys what he does. Like you mentioned, I think it's important to not get so stuck on the idea of a dream job because chances are we will all eventually have to pivot and even end up somewhere we did not expect. Also, loved his advice about "thinking big," I think it is super encouraging. Thanks for sharing!

    -Anai Salgado

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love keeping up with your Blogs every time I read them I enjoyed them. This one reminded me of a apprenticeship I had in high school where we painted murals in the Southside neighborhood. We helped paint the neighborhood while keeping kids out of trouble. However, I remember my boss leaving and moving into a different position elsewhere.
    He was hurt as well because although it was his dream to help kids he knew as mentioned above by Anai we soon have to move onto something bigger. This was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very interesting to hear from a leader of a non-profit; typically we don't get to hear much about the people who are running these organizations because they aren't the focus. It is important to get the perspective the wonderful people behind-the-scene who are making sure everything is running smoothly. It sounds like a very stressful kind of job and I am grateful for the kind of leaders like Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog posts! They are so different from everyone else's because of the style! This interview was also very interesting to me. I think it's super important to hear from the leaders of non-profits because theres so much that goes on and we don't even know it! -McKenna O'Hearne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personality Types

Who you are as a person is a big part of finding a compatible career. Your individual strengths, weaknesses, motivators, communication styles, learning methods, and ways you relate with others  all  have an impact on how you operate at work. There are so many different jobs that involve different types of work, so it naturally follows that your personality type plays a role in determining what jobs fit you best and will provide the most fulfilling career. Here are a few common personality dimensions that can provide insight into which careers might be a great fit for you: Myers Briggs The Myers Briggs framework is one of the most popular personality tests to-date. After taking a test, participants are assigned one of sixteen possible personality identifiers, made up of four different dimensions. Under Myers Briggs, everybody is ranked on a sliding scale of Extraversion to Introversion; Sensing to Intuition; Thinking to Feeling, and Judging to Perceiving. Business Insider published an a

Interview Series: Human Resources

This week, Deciding Your Direction is featuring an interview with Una, a Human Resources professional working in the healthcare field. Her job is a remote position, and it primarily involves conducting phone screening interviews with applicants and helping prepare new hires for working with the onboarding team. I've included our conversation below: –––––––––– Q: What does an average day look like for you? A: For me, an average day looks like calling candidates who've applied for a position and interviewing them based on specific screening criteria. Then I spend time interacting with newly-hired employees to carry out their final identity verifications and get them ready to begin onboarding. I interact a lot with the other recruiters on the team as well. Q: What is your favorite part of your job? A: My favorite part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Even though it's a remote position, I've still been able to build connections with my colleagues, which I

Pursuing a Graduate Degree

For bachelor's students who are quickly approaching graduation day, it can be hard to know whether to return to school for a graduate degree. Especially in more 'arts' driven studies (e.g., business, design, leadership), it's more difficult to evaluate if it will be worth the investment. Harvard Business Review published an article that explores some of the reasons whether to pursue post-bachelor education. Among the reasons to do so are to increase your salary earning potential, set a career change in motion, and to follow a passion. At the same time however, they warn that the benefits don't necessarily always outweigh the costs. Before you commit the time and money to a graduate degree, there are a few things to decide. First, make sure you know what your (broad) career goals are. Where do you want your career to take you? Adding more education to your credentials may or may not help you achieve these goals. Do some research to see if employers in your field typ