Skip to main content

Work-Life Balance

When and where you work is a really important consideration to make when evaluating a job opportunity or career path.

Rightfully so, the issue of work-life balance has become a massive topic in corporate dialogue. It's difficult to fully define where a job's boundaries begin and end–and, left unchecked, a job with a lot of responsibility can spill into your life and cause you to become overwhelmed.

First, you must set your own boundaries.

Consider your lifestyle.
Consider your skills.
Consider your field.
Consider your other responsibilities.
Consider any unique factors about your working situation.

Before you can really conduct a "fit-test" for a job opportunity's work-life balance, you need to know what you are looking for. If necessary, set some rules for yourself such as "no emails after 5pm" or "no phone calls on my personal phone," and use them as a bar to eliminate positions that you feel will overstep those boundaries. This will, necessarily, look different for everyone.

Second, ensure the apparent work-life balance is an appropriate match for the position. 

If a job description pays just over minimum wage and offers limited benefits, the employer's expectations should mirror this. Be wary of opportunities that seem to be misaligned in terms of compensation and job expectations–you could end up at the disadvantage of being underpaid and/or overworked.

Forbes shared an article about how work-life balance should be replaced with work-life alignment, which encompasses an overall compatibility between you and your job. The author writes, "If your current role or company doesn’t serve you, then you may need to explore more significant changes to find the alignment you want–perhaps a different position within the same organization. It may take a role in a different organization to find it. We're seeing more and more people striking out on their own as entrepreneurs and using that experience as a catalyst for creating the lifestyle they want."

Finally, hold your employer accountable for their expectations for you.

Even the most well-meaning boss can unintentionally assign tasks or responsibilities that are outside of your working agreement or job description. If you find yourself in a position where you are expected to do something that is not a part of your understood role, it's important to address it as soon as possible (respectfully, of course). If you wait, the conversation will become more and more difficult as time goes on, and you will inadvertently communicate that you have no problem with these changes. Stick up for yourself and maintain a standard of open communication!

––––––––––

Everyone is cut out for different jobs. What works well for one person may be a poor fit for you... and that's okay! Know yourself, evaluate each opportunity carefully, and keep your work-life balance in check!

I'll be back next week with another installment in the interview series!

- JS

Comments

  1. Hi James, I think everything you touched on in the blogpost is something we don't take into account when applying for and beginning jobs. A lot of us set our sights on accomplishing a lot in our careers and see giving up our personal time as a necessary sacrifice. What you said about holding your employer accountable for their expectations is really interesting because I think traditional media has in a way glamorized the idea of a full-time job being fifteen hours a day, seven days a week. I've actually seen this mindset of having a healthy work-life balance demonstrated by some of my professors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pursuing a Graduate Degree

For bachelor's students who are quickly approaching graduation day, it can be hard to know whether to return to school for a graduate degree. Especially in more 'arts' driven studies (e.g., business, design, leadership), it's more difficult to evaluate if it will be worth the investment. Harvard Business Review published an article that explores some of the reasons whether to pursue post-bachelor education. Among the reasons to do so are to increase your salary earning potential, set a career change in motion, and to follow a passion. At the same time however, they warn that the benefits don't necessarily always outweigh the costs. Before you commit the time and money to a graduate degree, there are a few things to decide. First, make sure you know what your (broad) career goals are. Where do you want your career to take you? Adding more education to your credentials may or may not help you achieve these goals. Do some research to see if employers in your field typ...

Mediate Runback, LLC

When I was four years old, I had big dreams.  My family fondly recalls a time when I proudly announced that my life's goal was to open a gas station and call it Mediate Runback . I truly don't know what inspired that name or what compelled me to manage a gas station (in fact, I barely remember this proclamation at all), but that moment has always stuck with me and it became a joke over the years–I was James, owner and operator of Mediate Runback . Now–nineteen years later–I'm a senior graduating in just a few short months. For my peers and I, this season is a whirlwind of questions and decisions.  What do I want to do after I graduate? How do I best showcase my experiences on my resumé? Do I need to go to grad school? How do I transition my internship into a full-time job? Where do I want to live? What's next for me? ...and the list goes on and on. My hope for this blog is to create a space to discuss how life, school, and workplace experiences have opened the door for ...

Interview Series: Human Resources

This week, Deciding Your Direction is featuring an interview with Una, a Human Resources professional working in the healthcare field. Her job is a remote position, and it primarily involves conducting phone screening interviews with applicants and helping prepare new hires for working with the onboarding team. I've included our conversation below: –––––––––– Q: What does an average day look like for you? A: For me, an average day looks like calling candidates who've applied for a position and interviewing them based on specific screening criteria. Then I spend time interacting with newly-hired employees to carry out their final identity verifications and get them ready to begin onboarding. I interact a lot with the other recruiters on the team as well. Q: What is your favorite part of your job? A: My favorite part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Even though it's a remote position, I've still been able to build connections with my colleagues, which I...