Skip to main content

Mediate Runback, LLC

When I was four years old, I had big dreams. 

My family fondly recalls a time when I proudly announced that my life's goal was to open a gas station and call it Mediate Runback. I truly don't know what inspired that name or what compelled me to manage a gas station (in fact, I barely remember this proclamation at all), but that moment has always stuck with me and it became a joke over the years–I was James, owner and operator of Mediate Runback.

Now–nineteen years later–I'm a senior graduating in just a few short months. For my peers and I, this season is a whirlwind of questions and decisions. 

What do I want to do after I graduate?
How do I best showcase my experiences on my resumé?
Do I need to go to grad school?
How do I transition my internship into a full-time job?
Where do I want to live?
What's next for me?

...and the list goes on and on.

My hope for this blog is to create a space to discuss how life, school, and workplace experiences have opened the door for professional development opportunities, impacted the direction of people's careers, and helped individuals find their place in the working world.

Deciding Your Direction will feature a series of curated content including discussions and interviews with professionals from all different fields and with varying levels of experience. Topics will cover career path choices, programs of study, applicable advice, and much more. I will also periodically discuss some of the jobs and projects I've had the opportunity to work on, but I've found that there is so much more value in learning from the experiences of others. 

Ultimately, my hope is to encourage readers to feel confident in their unique skills, identify their strengths, and find the areas where they shine.

Like many of you, I'm currently going through the process of evaluating a handful of exciting post-grad opportunities. While I've pretty much entirely ruled out Gas Station Manager, there's still a lot of decisions to make.

Stay tuned!

– JS

Comments

  1. Super cool, James! I look forward to reading more of your blog. I think topics such as covering career choices, programs, advice, etc will definitely not only help you discover more of this professional world we are about to dive into, as well as help others who are in the same path as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to continue reading your blog! I think a big issue a lot of college students face is the unknown of what comes next since school has been a huge part of our identities for most of our lives. We worry about getting a job that pays well and even after securing a job there's always the possibility that we realize this might not be the right career. Hearing from people who've gone through these worries and made it out the other side as professionals who feel satisfied in their careers and lives is sure to put people at ease and make them excited for what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey James! I thought that this was a really good blog! I feel like its a very cool idea and also a very prevalent topic with our final semester. I feel this will be a blog that I can return to every week and learn more about the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personality Types

Who you are as a person is a big part of finding a compatible career. Your individual strengths, weaknesses, motivators, communication styles, learning methods, and ways you relate with others  all  have an impact on how you operate at work. There are so many different jobs that involve different types of work, so it naturally follows that your personality type plays a role in determining what jobs fit you best and will provide the most fulfilling career. Here are a few common personality dimensions that can provide insight into which careers might be a great fit for you: Myers Briggs The Myers Briggs framework is one of the most popular personality tests to-date. After taking a test, participants are assigned one of sixteen possible personality identifiers, made up of four different dimensions. Under Myers Briggs, everybody is ranked on a sliding scale of Extraversion to Introversion; Sensing to Intuition; Thinking to Feeling, and Judging to Perceiving. Business Insider published an a

Interview Series: Human Resources

This week, Deciding Your Direction is featuring an interview with Una, a Human Resources professional working in the healthcare field. Her job is a remote position, and it primarily involves conducting phone screening interviews with applicants and helping prepare new hires for working with the onboarding team. I've included our conversation below: –––––––––– Q: What does an average day look like for you? A: For me, an average day looks like calling candidates who've applied for a position and interviewing them based on specific screening criteria. Then I spend time interacting with newly-hired employees to carry out their final identity verifications and get them ready to begin onboarding. I interact a lot with the other recruiters on the team as well. Q: What is your favorite part of your job? A: My favorite part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Even though it's a remote position, I've still been able to build connections with my colleagues, which I

Pursuing a Graduate Degree

For bachelor's students who are quickly approaching graduation day, it can be hard to know whether to return to school for a graduate degree. Especially in more 'arts' driven studies (e.g., business, design, leadership), it's more difficult to evaluate if it will be worth the investment. Harvard Business Review published an article that explores some of the reasons whether to pursue post-bachelor education. Among the reasons to do so are to increase your salary earning potential, set a career change in motion, and to follow a passion. At the same time however, they warn that the benefits don't necessarily always outweigh the costs. Before you commit the time and money to a graduate degree, there are a few things to decide. First, make sure you know what your (broad) career goals are. Where do you want your career to take you? Adding more education to your credentials may or may not help you achieve these goals. Do some research to see if employers in your field typ